Sunday, June 5, 2011

Thoughts on Konami's E3 Press Conference

After last year's disaster of a conference, Konami's idea to pretape the entire thing and just have it play everywhere on the internet seemed like a really good idea. I'm a sucker for E3 press conferences, they're by far my favorite part of E3, and aside from a few oddly overdubbed instances, the conference was actually rather fun to watch.

Admittedly, I wasn't too interested in what they had to say in the beginning. Things like PES and MGS 3DS (as much as I love MGS 3) bored me a bit. On the other hand, Neverdead actually peaked my interest. Their trailer had some really cool cutscenes in it and the action seems fun.


The rest of the show was a blast. I'm a huge Silent Hill fan so I was very happy to see both the announcement of the collection and the NGP game. The collection includes both Silent Hill 2 and 3 and will upscale them for HD, include trophies and all the nice toppings. The strange thing is the lack of Silent Hill 4 on the collection. I honestly have no idea why they would decide to keep it off. I wonder if there was a weird rights issue or something like that. Overall though I'm not too upset about it as SH 4 isn't too high on my list of favorites.


The other great bit of SH they had at the show was a new trailer on Silent Hill: Downpour. SH:D looks like such a step up from Homecoming and I couldn't be happier. The new trailer was really cool, as it showed off some new characters and locations. I'm really digging the look of the game and can't wait to pick it up at the end of the year.

After that was an entire half hour of Kojima content. I was rather surprised they gave him so much time, but considering how much he had to talk about I can understand it. First on the list was some brief talk about MGS: Rising. Kojima confirmed it was still releasing on 2012 so there was no point in speculating otherwise.

He also revealed that Konami will not only be releasing an MGS collection including MGS 2, 3, and Peace Walker, but he revealed a Zone of Enders collection as well! As per "collection standards" there will be upscaling, trophies, etc. I'm very excited for these, mostly because I've never played ZOE and I had a terrible addiction to Peace Walker on the PSP and I plan on relapsing come November when these collections are going to be released.


Lastly, Kojima talked about something called "Transfarring". According to him this is his new "lifestyle approach" towards gaming. In short it's basically the realization of being able to transfer your save between your PS3 and PSP/NGP. It sounds very cool and for someone like me who owns a PSP this will be very helpful for school or vacations. The first bunch of games to include this "Transfarring" technology will be the MGS Collection and the ZOE Collection. One can only hope that once it becomes proven tech that other developers will start utilizing it.


So there's my recap and thoughts on the Konami conference. Please feel free to share your thoughts on what they announced as well! I love a good dicussion.

PS. They also teased a new Contra... ?

===================================================================

Contact Info:
Steam: Superman1138
Twitter: Peter_Freeman
AIM: bigbossextreme
PSN ID: Rising_007
StarCraft 2 ID: Rising.145

No comments:

Post a Comment