Monday, October 31, 2011

Prepping for NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo is nearly upon us, good people of earth. For the confused, National Novel Writing Month is a month long "event" where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel... in thirty days. Many have tried (including myself) and many probably don't make it all the way (including myself). Despite the fact that I have a job, I really want to try again. I've got an idea that my mind spawned a few nights ago and I've been slowly adding to it throughout the days. My hope is to have a decent idea of the characters I want in the story as well as the general direction I'll take it in.

Of course the biggest problem is the day-to-day labor of actually writing the damn thing. If you were to continue until the very last day, you'd have to write 1667 words per day. That may not seem like much, but motivating yourself to continue is tough. This is especially true when you've gotten stuck for whatever reason. This happens to me most when I can't figure out where else to take the story. I've hit some sort of snag and the story has stalled out. My hope is that I can flesh out this idea enough that I won't have that problem.

No way to tell though until I try (again). Only one more day! Geronimo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment