Friday, January 14, 2011

Insomniac

So, I'm still sick and....... It's been a blast to say the least. I hate having such a sore throat. Now it's not as bad as when I had strep, but it's still aggravating to no end. Either way, things did happen today that are worth discussing so I'll move right along now.


The first thing is the first photo of the new Spiderman movie. It's of Andrew Garfield in costume. If you're curious about what it looks like, here it is:


Cool right? At first I didn't love the new pattern of the costume, but the more I see the more I like it. I like that it's new and completely different than the old movies (which weren't terrible, they just had issues). He's also more slender than Spiderman usually is. That more than likely means they're going with the Ultimate version, which other signs have been pointing to as well.

The fact that they're releasing stills now makes me hopeful that they're going to gear up some sort of a marketing campaign soon. They began filming in November for two weeks, then took a break for December and resumed on Monday I believe. My hope is that they'll have plenty of footage show at this year's Comic-Con. Of course CC's ticketing is in shambles at the moment so even if they have it it's possible no one will get to see it. They hope to have a new registration date by the end of the month though. We'll see, fingers crossed!

Yesterday on Dark Horizons I saw that the magazine "W" (which I admit to never having heard of) had done a decent sized article on Rooney Mara, David Fincher, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie. I've heard so much about the Millennium Trilogy and how successful it's been all over the world. Naturally, I was curious about this movie. The fact that Fincher (an amazing director) is doing it also had me curious. The transformation of Rooney Mara, who played Zuckerberg's girlfriend in the beginning of The Social Network, is stunning.

You'd never recognize here by the photo here, and that's what's so interesting about the character. There's a link in Dark Horizon's page to the article where they interview Fincher on his approach to her character and how he directs his movies. It's an interesting read for those with an interest in film. I myself have been inspired to direct again - though opportunities are few and far between. I hope to make my own though soon enough.

I also wanted to give an update on my New Year's Goals, as well as add a new one. Like I said in my last post I've finished the first of the Dark Tower series "The Gunslinger", but I just finished another movie as well. Despite what my tweet said, movie #1 was in fact "Tron: Legacy" a movie I hope to talk about soon. Movie #2 was "Insomnia".


Insomnia was one of Christopher Nolan's first films. He did it two years after Memento. In short it's about two cops who are sent from L.A. to a small Alaskan town to track down a murderer of a seventeen year old girl. The main cop (Pacino) accidentally shoots and kills his partner in the beginning of the film. The killer (Williams) witnesses this and uses it against him to try and escape. It's a very, very good thriller. The main cast is excellent, even Hilary Swank, who I've seen in a few not so good movies before. Williams especially though is worth mention. I haven't seen him in many serious roles before and boy do I wish he'd do them more often. He was amazing in this movie, so different than how I usually think of him. More actors need to diversify themselves like Williams does (or did, I haven't seen him anything good in a long time). I certainly recommend the movie to anyone interested in Nolan's past films, in thrillers, murder mysteries, or just good film in general.

Now to get back to my New Year's Goals, I've posted them below again with updates stats and the extra goal I want to accomplish by the end of the year.

==========================================================================


Read 25 Different Books: Completed 1/25

Finish the Dark Tower Series: Completed 1/7

Complete 20 Different Video Games: Completed 0/20

Write 25 Reviews: Written 0/25

Watch 50 Different Movies: Watched 2/50

Reach Gold League in StarCraft 2: I love the game, it fascinates me the speed at which players need to move in order to be the first to win. I'm not a terrible player, I have roughly 30 more wins than losses at the moment and am quickly moving up. The problem is that I'm still stuck in the damn Bronze League. I need to get out of there and into Silver and beyond. My realistic assumption is that I can reach Gold in 12 months of playtime.

Here's hoping right?

No comments:

Post a Comment