Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Perfect Grilled Cheese

I've decided not to make this blog about video games only, mainly because I don't have something to say about games every single time I want to write. Plus, I want to write about things other than games when it strikes my fancy. So from now on I'll pretty much post anything on here that catches my interest.

So like the title suggests, this post is about grilled cheese. Why? Because I made some the other day and to be honest, I burnt it the first time and had to start over. Normally I don't do this but I was busy cleaning out our dishwasher and forgot to flip the damn thing. It was this mistake that helped me discover the secret of the perfect grilled cheese.

Yes, I'm being over dramatic, but wherein lies the fun of just being "normal"... I don't get it. Anyways, when I restarted my lunch I found that simply switching the heat of the oven between medium-low and medium-high helps control how quickly your bread cooks, as well as how fast the cheese melts. Normally the problem I have is getting the cheese to melt before the bread goes black on me. Thankfully, the heat switching trick works out quite well and you wind up with something that should look this:

The perfect grilled cheese, eh?
If not, then you obviously did it wrong. Honestly though, it's simple, easy, and effective. Not to mention it tastes great and is quite filling. It helps when you're trying to eat just a little bit better than you usually do.

==========================================================================

So anyways, now that this is the new year, I've decided to set some goals for myself. These aren't "resolutions" or whatever - I already decided on what those are. These are things I want to do or accomplish by January 1, 2012. I'll be keep track of them here on the blog to help me push through it all. So without further stalling, here they are:

Read 25 Different Books: Simple enough right? The thing is, I don't read a whole lot. It's mainly due to time or the fact that I'm interested in something else. On the flip side, I keep buying books... So I kind of need to read them, right? Currently I'm reading the first of the Dark Tower series ("Gunslinger").

Finish the Dark Tower Series: This goes inline with what's above, but it's also a separate goal even if I finish 25 different books. The Dark Tower series is seven books, and probably over 7,000 pages in length when combined. I'm determined to finish it by the end of the year.

Complete 20 Different Video Games: One of my new years resolutions was to complete more games so hopefully this won't be that hard. That said, they have to be new games, replaying and completing a game doesn't count. So far on my list to beat I have "The Sly Collection", "Dead Rising 2", "Fallout: New Vegas", "Metroid: Other M", and "Donkey Kong Country Returns". But I plan on buying tons more games in 2011 so the list will get much, much larger.

Write 25 Reviews: I don't write enough, simply put. Plus if I want to become a games journalist eventually I'll need to practice my writing skills. What helps that more than writing? Plus I love to voice my opinion on things, I'm just lazy about doing it. Hopefully this will whip me into shape.

Watch 50 Different Movies: Again, these have to be ones I haven't seen before. Now I love to watch movies so this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm hoping to integrate some classics into that 50. Suggestions are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment