Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Symphony of Violence

So since my last post a few things have happened. One, I got sick. First with an annoying stomach virus, and now with a cold. So I technically have both. It's been awesome... Secondly, school also started, which I managed to attend. The first day wasn't so bad, and neither were day two or three (even if my screenplay reviewed terribly). I've made it so my entire schedule doesn't begin until 11 AM. Last semester my day would start at 7 AM and that drove me nuts. So now I don't have to get up so early and I can get more sleep. Hopefully it'll be great.

While I was sick I watched a ton of YouTube. I perused some of my favorite channels and got big into Freddiew's videos. If you don't know him, then he's a guy who does a ton of action movie videos. They're short, at most four minutes long. He does amazing special effects though. All of it is home brewed as well. On his second channel: Freddiew2 he helps walk you through how to do some of these effects. He's even gotten some star talent to guest in some of his videos (such as Andy Whitfield, the one time Spartacus from "Blood and Sand"). He does videos based on popular video games as well. He has one on Portal, a TF 2 rocket jump video, and a whole video in the world of Call of Duty. If you love first person shooters, I highly recommend Freddie's channel.

In fact it's his videos that have inspired me (once I'm well again) to try making some action videos of my own. I used to a few years ago but I fell out of touch with it and now I'm feeling the energy returning. Plus with technological advancements things will be easier... I hope.



New Silent Hill 8 info appeared over last five days as well. It's now called "Silent Hill: Downpour". The title could certainly be worse. I'm glad they didn't go with a number though, the series doesn't really need them anymore.  There's tons more info on it in the new Game Informer issue that I don't have yet - but have found scans of online. After scouring over them for an hour I learned plenty of things that make me happy, and few that make me worried.

The return to standard combat mixed with Shattered Memories' chases sounds good to me. Breakable weapons from Origins? Fine as well. The fact that you can only carry one weapon at a time makes sense as well. Puzzle difficulty is returning, one of my favorite things from the older games. Boss battles are also making a return (excitement!).

There's more as well. Water is the new nightmare effect. That sounds like it could be really cool. It also sounds like they're making it somewhat of an open world. I say this because they mention that they've created a train system for you to use to travel around town. That and there are side quests so... I don't mind these things though, I just hope they're properly implemented.

The one thing that has me worried so far is the inclusion of quicktime events. Now they were in Silent Hill: Homecoming and they weren't too great there (granted SH:H isn't a game anyone should be taking tips from) so I'm a little afraid as to how they'll work in SH: D.

Overall though I'm super excited for the game. There's no release date yet, but I'm expecting it to be around the end of the year. It was announced last year at E3 and we've finally got some details so I'm hoping this is the beginning of their marketing campaign for the game. I want to see (and hear, I love the music) as much of it as possible.


It's also worth mentioning that I've completed my first book of the twenty-five I wish to complete over the course of the year. Book #1 was "The Gunslinger" or book 1 of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was excellent, I loved the atmosphere and the characters. It's got some great mysteries to it as well. It's certainly my type of story. It's not very long either, roughly 220 pages (I'm spitballin' here), so I recommend you guys try it out if you're the least bit interested in the series.


Well that's all I've got for now. I was hoping to blog more often but now that school has started up that's pretty much a lost cause. I'll do it as often as possible though!

No comments:

Post a Comment