Saturday, April 16, 2011

Captivate Opens Up a Cafe

This last week has been crazy with video game news. Lots of amazing things have been announced/rumored/shown in general. First there was Captivate, Capcom's media event. They showed off several games, some new, others old, but everything was awesome overall.

Street Fighter X Tekken

I love both Tekken and Street Fighter. Tekken has been with me as a gamer since Tekken 2 on the original PS1 and while Street Fighter only really entered my life last year I love the game almost as much. Seeing the new trailer for SFxT was pretty awesome. The line up of characters isn't too bad right now, but I am still hoping to see some other characters show up (like Asuka from Tekken or Juri from SF). In the end though I'm still very excited for this game and the accompanying game, Tekken X Street Fighter that's supposed to be released in 2012 some time.



Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

While I'm slightly annoyed at the price of the DLC ($15), I believe Arcade Edition to be a must buy. Not only does it include four new characters (one slightly more broken than the rest), a ton of new replay features, but it also has several balancing fixes for the original set of characters. Now many of you probably aren't as nerdy as I am and may not even recognize the difference when you download AE, but for someone like me this is a big thing.

From what I've heard though, the character of Yun is a bit broken. He has several high priority moves and he has the ability to juggle (a huge problem in the Tekken series). So hopefully a patch or two will be released shorty after AE to fix all that.



Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Now here's an interesting title. If you haven't heard of it already it's basically Dead Rising 2 remixed with Frank West instead of Chuck. They're supposed to add a better save/checkpoint system, new bosses, and better difficulty. Originally I thought this was a fun idea, but the problem - again - lies in its price. At a full $60 retail game I just can't see this being worth it. If Capcom was doing what they're doing with Super Street Fighter and pricing its rereleases at $40, this would make sense. Alas, I could never justify such a purchase and will more than likely be ignoring this game in the future.




Dragon's Dogma:

I just finished watching the trailer on this game and I have no idea what to think so far. It just looks like an Oblivion rip off. Maybe once I hear more on the story I'll be interested.




Asura's Wrath:

Asura's Wrath looks... very Japanese. But to me that isn't a bad thing. I really like the visual style and if the bosses and as crazy in game as they are in the trailer we could have something very interesting on our hands. Not too sure how I feel about the whole "last time on" thing, but I'd have to see how it fits in the overall story to judge. I also like to see that Capcom is experimenting with new IPs.




I believe that's all the big stuff from Captivate. If I've missed anything you're free to let me know in the comments. If not, I'm going to move on to the next big thing that happened this week.

Nintendo Reveals Project Cafe:

The biggest news of the week is all about Nintendo's newest console. Sources close to IGN and other outlets have been saying a lot of different things about it. Some people are saying the controller with have a touch screen, others are saying it's going to be as powerful (or even more so) than the PS3. How much of this is true, no one knows for sure as Nintendo refuses to comment on anything. Even so, they're supposed to make some sort of official announcement before E3 and then fully show off a prototype during their E3 conference.

For the possibilities on what this kind of controller could do, I direct you here. There's some good analysis there as well as a piece of cool concept art.

While I've been pretty down on the Wii throughout its life cycle, I'm actually very excited for the potential of Nintendo's new console. If they can get the 3rd-Party support they need then they could have yet another hit on their hands. Switching to bluray and getting a consistent online profile in there would certainly help attract people to the console. After all, most of these claims are saying that Nintendo wants to be more "hardcore" now.

My only worry is price. My gut reaction is to say $400 all things considered, but I imagine that Nintendo will probably price it at around $300-$350 to stay competitive. They already got the 3DS and they've made a killing off the Wii so they could afford to lose a bit of money on the console in the beginning.

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's newest console? Are you excited? Worried? TELL ME! Please. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment