Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Apple + Pokemon

Earlier this week there was an article on IGN about Pokemon making its first appearance at the Jump Festa event in Japan this year. It said it was for a big announcement regarding the series. Now occasionally I like to go into the comments of Nintendo articles and troll a bit because everyone takes everything so seriously down there. But when I said it would be awesome for Nintendo to put Pokemon on iPhones (and other assorted mobile platforms) I was being serious. Naturally everyone freaked out at me. This was to be expected as they're rabid Nintendo fans with no proper discussion skills whatsoever. It did get me thinking though, why wouldn't it be a good idea? What are some legitimate reasons to not put Pokemon on mobile platforms?

Now before you guys get all crazy on me, please realize I'm only talking about the Pokemon games. I'm not saying that all Nintendo games would work on a mobile platform, so don't go jumping down my throats about how Mario and Zelda wouldn't work. I know that already. Now, for the reasons Pokemon would work on an iPhone.

1. Wider Audience

It's no secret that handheld systems are becoming less popular. I'm not saying they're dying, but compared to an Android phone or an iPhone the reach of the 3DS is rather low. Pokemon is the perfect social game to put on a smart phone because so many people have one. Imagine being able to trade and battle Pokemon over a 3G connection instead of some shaky online system. The barrier to entry for new customers is also a lot lower. Instead of having to pay $160 for a whole system that you may only play a few games on, you could pay around $200 for something that has more than one use and will be with you at all times.

2. Interface

Pokemon is a game that was built specifically for handheld (i.e. mobile) interfaces. The top screen of a 3DS is the exact same width of an iPhone 4. All you'd have to do is overlay a few buttons for movement and the A/B buttons and you'd be good to go. Pokemon battles and menus could be flipped through/used with the touch screen. It would be simply and easy to use. If a huge RPG like Chrono Trigger can make it work on an iPhone, Pokemon can easily do it.

Creating an interface on the iPhone would be very easy to do.
3. Sales

Nintendo has always said it's not going for the whole "99 cent app" thing and that's fine. No one says they need to put Pokemon on the app store for only 99 cents. You could easily charge around $15 for the game and people would eat it up (though I think $5 would be a perfect price). Apple itself only takes 30% of all sales on the app store. With the reach of the iPhone has there's no way this couldn't help Nintendo make more money. I know most of you are going to say this will make people just buy more iPhones, but isn't that happening already? Why not get a piece of the pie and use it to your own advantage? 
4. The Perfect Mobile Game

Pokemon is above all else, a game that is perfect when played on the go. Like I said before you've always got your phone on you, so therefore you'd have always your Pokemon with you. It's the best game for travel long distance, or even just a short bus ride. A 3G network would allow you to battle other trainers from all over the world and trading would done seamlessly.

These are my reasons on why I think Pokemon would work on the iPhone. I know there are a lot of people out there who think it's a terrible idea and I want to know why. What are the reasons you think it wouldn't work? I don't want to read "Well Nintendo would never do it anyways". That's not a reason. Give me something that I won't be able to debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment