Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Past, Present, and Future of Skyrim and I

My history with the Elder Scrolls games isn't a long one. I kind of played Oblivion and that was all. I knew a lot of people who lost weeks to it, but I don't think my PC could really run it at the time so I passed on it. That said, when Skyrim was announced I knew it was a big deal. The problem was that I wasn't all that excited for it. My best friend and few other of my friends were freaking out over it as time got closer and I only continued to hear from IGN podcasts how amazing the game is. I wanted the game, for sure, but I was planning on waiting until Christmas to get it (as I am with Skyward Sword and UMvC3). Of course, fate has a way of intervening.

A few weeks ago my dad purchased the iPhone 4S. I was still using my lousy 3G and desperately needed a new phone. The software had outgrown the hardware and it was slowly becoming a glorified paper wieght. So when my dad bought the phone, he said that when it came in he would give me his old 4G and I could just transfer my SIM card over and all would be well with the world. My plan, was to sell my old iPhone to GameStop. So today when the SIM card was finally transferred over I set out on my quest to sell my phone and buy Skyrim.

The first GameStop I went to was the closest one to my house. The place was packed because of Call of Duty pre-orders and Skyrim purchasers. I waited about twenty minutes to get to the front of the line. I gave the dude my phone, he looked at it, and gave it back. There was a small crack in the case, and that was a deal breaking according to him. I figured this might happen, but alas, there are a total of three GameStops within my area so all was not lost.

The second one I went to everything went smoothly. The guy at the counter didn't even look at my phone. He only made sure it turned on (which it could still do, mind you). He then asked if I wanted to trade it in or sell it to them. Considering the goal was to buy a game, I went for the trade-in. I got $70 in trade-in credit for the phone and was able to buy Skyrim outright with some trade-in cash left over.

Now lately I've been getting into video capture and streaming games. Unfortunately my stream doesn't work all that well just yet. I think it's a RAM issue more than anything else and I'm gonna try to fix that as soon as possible. I also can't do commentary on my videos because I have an awful mic and three very young siblings. What does work though, is the video capture. So I thought it would be fun to capture my entire Skyrim playthrough. Everything I do (included hitting the damn quick load key by accident) will be captured, rendered, and uploaded to one of my YouTube channels. I won't pass out a link just yet because nothing is on there.

I hope to continue capturing the game until I've finished playing it and then moving on to newer games. The plan is to be able to stream games and capture them while giving commentary. I'm not sure how long it will take to get all three aspects up and running (commentary is probably going to be the longest of them), but I hope to be able to give you guys a good show pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment