Sunday, March 6, 2011

What Is the Point?

Disclaimer: This post is filled with odd, jumbled philosophical ramblings about life and money. Normally I never get this way, but I was curious about what everyone else thought. Read at your own risk.

Recently I've begun thinking about my life. Not in where it's going to go or how I'm going to get there, but more in a why should I bother kind of way. Before I continue, let me say that this is not in any way a suicide note. Most of you reading this would probably never assume that, but it's best to be sure. What I mean, is why do we live?

Lately I've been thinking about why we do the things we do, and the purpose of our existence. For example, I want to create my own video game development studio. I have a business model I would love to use and it involves a great deal of money. That train of thought led me to wondering why companies exist only to make money. Sure, money makes the world go round as they say, but why? What is the point of making money if it doesn't lead to something more productive?

Consider Activision - I'm not targeting them, they're just the easiest example to reference - they make a Call of Duty game every year. Why? Because they make tons and tons of money. They don't make them because people love to play them. But what is the point of making all that money? Where does it go? Sure, some of it pays for the next game but what about the rest. Does it sit in a vault somewhere? I don't understand what the endgame of it all is.

For me, I see money as a tool. I want to use it to help me create/do the things I love. Sure, having a lot of money would make my life comfortable, but I don't see the need to have excess amounts of it when it could be put to use creating something amazing.

In the end, I'm wondering why do we bother to make money, other than to take care of what we absolutely need to? Do we exist simply to make ourselves comfortable and satisfy corporate greed? What are your thoughts on all this? Am I even making any sense? I apologize if it's very confusing. I sort of wrote as I thought, without any formatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment