Friday, July 29, 2011

Tales from Comic-Con 2011: Day 3

Previous Posts:

Day 0

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3: Saturday


Saturday is the biggest day of Comic-Con. The most people attend on Saturday because it has the biggest panels. Ironically, I only saw two panels on Saturday. I spent my entire day doing two things: expo hall, and the IGN meet and greet. I wanted to go see the Chuck panel but the line was way too long and I was never going to make it inside. Instead I decided to stand on line with my sister to try and get tickets to the Chuck autographs.

WB ran an awful show last year in how people got autographs. You could wait hours on line only to have people who just showed up get picked to be put on line. It was horrendous and really demoralizing. This year though they got smart and changed the way they did things. This year you would stand on line for the chance to pull a ticket that would get you on the autograph line. It's different only in the sense that everyone has the same odds, and you could be first, or last in line and still not get in. We didn't get in, but we met a cool Asian guy who we talked to for awhile (I don't remember his name though lol).

I then dropped my sister off with my dad because he was trying to get autographs at the FOX booth and I wanted to go play more video games. Naturally, I made my way back to the Capcom booth. I participated in a Street Fighter X Tekken tournament. I made it to the round of 16 before I got knocked out. It was fun though, I just need to practice more with a fight stick (I'm actually planning to invest in one, they're just super expensive).

The highlight of the expo hall was getting the autographs of Katsuhiro Harada the producer of the Tekken series and Yoshinori Ono, producer of the Street Fighter series. Both were super cool and really funny. I really enjoyed meeting them.


After the tournament I headed back to the hotel to rest my feet and clean up a little. About twenty minutes later I got pretty bored just being in my room and decided to head down to the IGN Oasis which was in my hotel. I about an hour and a half early, but I had nothing better to do. I just sat at the table and rested until people started showing up around 3 PM.

A lot of people from IGN and 1UP came to the meet and greet. The classics, such as Greg and Daemon were there. Jack DeVries, Rich George, Chris Carle, Stephanie Lee, Jim Reilly, Erik Brudvig, Jessica Chobot, and Noami Kyle were all there. Greg and Daemon actually know my face now so it's like seeing old friends. I really enjoy meeting Rich and Stephanie. I talked with Rich about Capcom and Comic-Con for quite awhile and I discussed Spiderman and gaming panels with Stephanie.

Overall the meet and greet was easily one of the best I've been to (it doesn't beat the PAX dinner, but it was still really fun). I got plenty of pictures, as you'll see in a moment. I want you to notice Greg's expression here and tell me he doesn't make that face in EVERY picture you've seen him in with fans. I've taken four pictures with Greg over the course of two years and I swear his expression never changes.










Once the IGN meet and greet was over I headed back to the convention center to catch two panels before the day was over. I got in the room pretty early and sat through the Nikita panel before the Person of Interest panel started. Person of Interest is a new show from David Nolan and J. J. Abrams. It's about a man, Finch (played by Michael Emerson) who has a machine that only prints out a social security number. He only knows that the people who own these numbers are linked to a crime in one way or another. He hires John Reese (played by James Caviezel) to help him prevent the crimes.

Overall I really liked the show. There's definitely going to be a mythology behind it, which worries me only for the reason that the show has been picked up by CBS who has had the worst luck with serialized shows (Jericho anyone?). That said, I'm hoping the episodic core of the show will help it stay afloat.

The next panel was the Mythbusters panel. I've been a big fan of the Mythbusters for a long time now and they were great last year. Each year Mythbusters co-host Adam Savage cosplays and roams the expo hall. He tweets one hint and whoever finds him first gets a prize. Last year it was a custom iPad. This year... I don't remember what it was. Something not as important. Anyways, last year he went as one of the 501st Storm Troopers. This year he went as No-Face from Spirited Away. The costume was really good despite the fact that he got found out in half an hour.



The rest of the night was spent by us waiting for two hours to get into the Nobu, the Hard Rock's resident sushi restaurant. Now it's time to get a tad personal. For whatever reason, I am extremely texture oriented when it comes to eating foods. If something doesn't "feel" right, it immediately doesn't taste good. This unfortunately applied to the sushi tacos I got. So that was easily my least favorite dinner of Comic-Con. We then promptly went to bed because we had only a few hours at the convention tomorrow before flying back home.

Tomorrow is the post about the last day of Comic-Con. It might be the end of the show, but stay tuned after that because I will have at least two more posts about games I played during Comic-Con. Hope you enjoyed this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment