Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tales from Comic-Con 2011: Day 2

Previous Posts:

Day 0

Day 1

Day 2: Friday


Friday was supposed to be a really light day. On my schedule I had only two panels. The first was The Walking Dead and the second was Sony's Hall H presentation, which was to include The Amazing Spiderman. After getting up early again and rolling into the convention center, it became clear very quickly that I wasn't going to get into Ballroom 20, where the Walking Dead panel was. So I bailed quickly and met up with my dad and sister who were on line for a panel about "The Captains" a documentary by William Shatner about the life of all the starship captains after Star Trek. I've yet to watch it, but my dad did and he liked it quite a bit. You can watch the documentary here. Just sign up for the free trial and you'll be good to go.

Back to the panel though, it was moderated by Kevin Smith, whose comedy I'm not the biggest fan of. I heard though, that he was a much better moderator than he was panel participant. This was definitely true. He was hilarious and mixed well with Shatner and Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko from Deep Space Nine). Scott Bakula even made a surprise appearance on the panel. The panel was a lot more fun than I thought it would be and I didn't really mind that I had missed the Walking Dead panel (also, the trailer for season 2 is on AMC's website now).

Since my next panel was Sony's Hall H presentation at 4 PM, I had a few hours to kill before I had to get on line. Of course by now we all know what free time means right? Expo hall! I spent some more time playing more Capcom games, practicing my SFxT play on a fight stick. Fun stuff all around.




Around 1 PM we decided to jump on line for Hall H. In past years the line for Hall H has been so long you could be there the entire day. To avoid this problem, we got on line three hours early. Turns out the line wasn't all that long and after waiting half an hour we rolled right into the hall. Hall H sits over six thousand people so getting close wasn't really an option. That's okay though because they have giant screens projecting what everyone is doing/saying all the way in front.

I believe the first panel we sat through was for the fourth Underworld movie. Now, I've never watched these movies so this panel, and the following Q&A was pretty boring. The same was the case for the following panel, which was about two different movies. One I can't remember and the second was called "Attack the Block" or something like that. It's an alien movie set in South London. The footage they showed didn't look that good, so I'll be passing on that one. Either way it had Edgar Wright on it and all anyone did was ask them questions about Tintin, Ant Man, and the next movie he'll be making with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. No new info all around.

The next panel was the Fright Night panel. For those who don't know, Fright Night is a "remake" of an old horror comedy involving a vampire neighbor that is stalking the main character and his family. I somewhat of a Colin Farrel fan, so seeing him in the role of a villain tickled my fancy a bit. Unfortunately the rest of the movie looks a bit lackluster. So perhaps it'll be a good DVD buy.

Finally, after sitting through three hours of panels I wasn't too interested in, the main event was here. Sony's presentation consisted of four different movies: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, 30 Minutes or Less, Total Recall, and the Amazing Spiderman movie. First off, until I looked at the programming schedule about a week before the show, I had no idea they were making a new Ghost Rider movie. I never saw the first movie because Nic Cage makes my eyes burn and my ears bleed. That said, it seems like there will be more Ghost Rider this time around then last (from what I've heard) and that it'll a much darker/edgier movie. The trailer looked pretty crazy and action looked fun. Who knows. Depending on reviews, I might still see it. Oh, and for those asking: yes, Nic Cage is back.

30 Minutes or Less was next up. This movie looks pretty funny, plus it's by the same guy who directed Zombieland (a movie I did a speech on for a class). The only problem with the panel was that neither of the big names were present. Both Danny McBride and Jesse Eisenberg were off doing other films.
Total Recall on the other hand, really surprised me. The clips they showed looked a lot like Mass Effect (more than the Mass Effect movie probably will). The action looks fun and my hope is that the story will be good as well.

Last, but not least is Spiderman. I'm not going to repeat the beginning of the panel, if you don't know what I'm referring to, go here. It's the first item on the list. Personally, I thought it was refreshing to see such honesty from a Hollywood star. They showed the original trailer and then went right into some new footage. I'll say here right now that hte trailer that's out for everyone to see is terrible. It's an awful trailer that portrays a boring movie. The footage shown at Comic-Con though, shows a much more exciting movie. There was more action, more story, just better stuff all around. After the footage we bailed out because we had been sitting for quite some time and were rather hungry.

We dropped off our stuff at the hotel and then went looking for dinner. We wound up at Dick's Last Resort. For those who were at Comic-Con last year, you should remember this as the restaurant that IGN had their meet and greet last year. It's basically a place where the waiters yell at you a lot of and make fun of you. It's so much fun and they actually make pretty good food. Dinner was awesome for another reason too. I walk inside and lo and behold, Epic Meal Time is inside. Naturally I had to get a picture with them.


We ended the day by roaming around the hotel lobby looking for more celebrities to meet. I only met two on Friday, but they were two very awesome people. They were Joss Whedon and Michael Emerson (LOST). Both were really cool and people I respect quite a bit. It was really fun meeting them.


That's me about done for Friday. Tomorrow will be my post on Saturday! Where IGN had their meet and greet. Stay tuned for stories and pics about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment