Friday, July 1, 2011

Uncharted 3 Beta Thoughts

A lot of people have been writing about what they think about the Uncharted 3 Beta so I thought I'd throw mine into the mix as well.



So far I'm really impressed by it. I like the new menus, everything is pretty easy to find. Customizing your characters is fun, though so far it looks be rather difficult to unlock new options. Setting up your loadouts is easy, my only gripe is that there are no boosters already unlocked for new players to use. You have buy all of them.

Speaking of boosters, many of them don't seem to be that useful. I've found myself sticking to the very first two you can buy. I think there are one or two much later down the road that may prove useful, but the ones in between have been lacking. This could of course change over time, we've still got quite awhile until the game comes out.

The way the weapons feel is nice, I've been using the burst fire gun (the name escapes me) and it's been working out pretty well so far. The one issue I have is with the shotgun. Its recoil is so hard that you barely have time to fire a second shot before your opponent is completely out of range. So it either needs to be easier to fire, or have a slightly longer range.

The problems with melee have already been explained by Greg Miller's article on IGN and I echo those sentiments. Many times I'll miss my melee attack because I wasn't placed exactly where I needed to be. The same goes for climbing. Even when standing in front of a ladder, I'd bounce off of it once or twice before finally latching on and climbing up.

Another small point is the partner spawning. While awesome in general, occasionally my partner would be against a wall or in cover and when I would spawn I would get stuck in wall. Not fun, lol. Aside from that though the partner spawning is an awesome idea. It makes finding where the action is a lot easier and helps keep you alive instead of getting caught off guard by a group of three enemies.
The two maps are pretty fun. Airfield of obviously the more fun, especially with the opening. The problem is that opening is completely unbalanced. I played both sides of that map and the heroes - who are placed in the plane as it goes to take off - have the clear advantage. On the truck it is terribly hard to aim while the heroes on the plane have a very steady area to fire from. Each time I played that opening my team (or the heroes) were eight to ten points ahead of the other team by the time we took off.

Granted, I know this is a beta and issues are to be expected. Overall though I've been having a very enjoyable experience with the beta. My goal is to hit the level cap (whatever it really is) and get that extra cash for when the game is released. This is definitely something I'm going to be playing a lot of when the full game comes out.

What are your thoughts on the beta? Are you enjoying it so far? What issues have you had with it? Explain away in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment