Thursday, September 8, 2011

Comfort Gaming

And now it's time to return you to your regularly scheduled posts. Hope you all had a great three day weekend and Tuesday (I totally forgot to post yesterday, my apologies).

Have you guys ever had a really stressful day and just wanted to bury yourself in a game? Of course you have, who hasn't? Escapism is one of the biggest reasons I play games in general. I love disappearing off the face of the earth and not even bothering to think of my friends, facebook, twitter, etc. Usually when I've had a bad day (such as Tuesday was), I'm able to deal with it fairly well (see my post on how I deal with stress). Occasionally though there are times when something slips by and it actually winds up affecting me. To deal with that, I game.

When such a thing happens, I migrate to the newest game I've bought. Two weeks ago, that game was Deus Ex. I managed to finish that one in three days. So then I turn to StarCraft 2, the game I keep gaming after it's already been gamed (wtf?). StarCraft 2 is a multiplayer game though and some days I don't want to deal with people. The question then becomes: which game to I go to? I turn to one of my favorites.

I tend to choose between one or two games. Silent Hill 3 and Resident Evil 4 are usually those games. I've beaten RE 4 more times than I can remember. I know the game like the back of my hand and it's fun to rip through some zealots and kill some crazy bosses in two hits with a broken rocket launcher. I love that game pieces (and am eagerly awaiting the HD rerelease on PSN).

Silent Hill 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. It was the first of the series I ever played and for that it holds a special place in my heart. It's also a game I know really, really well. I haven't beaten it as many times as RE 4, but it's also a much longer game. Silent Hill also makes me think. The puzzles are challenging in the best way possible. They take my mind off of everything else so I can focus on the task at hand.

Do you guys have a game you immediately go for when feeling stress out?

No comments:

Post a Comment