Friday, September 9, 2011

MAX PAAAAAYNE!


Rockstar has finally begun sharing some details on Max Payne 3. I tend to keep an eye on all things Rockstar related simply because I find them to be an interesting company based on the projects they choose to work on. Max Payne is another one of those interesting choices. I've played both Max Payne games (finished the first, still working on the second) and I find myself to be a fan of the series, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on what Rockstar plans to do with the game.

While details are scarce so far, I still find myself asking certain questions about the game. For example: multiplayer... really? Now, I bought RDR on the PS3 so the multiplayer was... lacking in other people to populate the world. From what I heard about the 360 version isn't much different though. From the details given to us, the Max Payne multiplayer sounds a bit like Call of Duty. With traditional game modes and a rewarding leveling system how could it not? I'm not worried about it impacting the single player campaign though. If Red Dead proved anything it's that Rockstar focuses a lot (maybe too much?) on their single player campaigns.

Speaking of the single player campaign, I'm wondering if Rockstar will keep some the classic presentation elements of Max Payne. In both Max Payne 1 and 2, cutscenes were presented in the form of narrated comic book pages. I rather enjoyed this way of telling the story. The art for the comic pages was a haunting style akin to some of the darker Batman comics. I really hope they keep this approach to storytelling.

Another thing I wonder about is the bullet time. Considering it was a major part of Max Payne's draw, I can't imagine them doing away with it. My only fear is that the shooting mechanics will not be up to par. Red Dead had some of the most boring gun play I've ever seen. I suppose only time will tell.

Speaking of time, we only have to wait a little bit until the first trailer is released. I'm hoping this will clear up some of the questions and fears I have about this game. What about you guys? Are you looking forward to Max Payne 3? Have you ever played the games before? Thoughts on Rockstar taking over the character?

No comments:

Post a Comment