Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sony's TGS Presentation Postmortem

Last night was Sony's Tokyo Game Show Press Conference. Now there were a lot of complaints about the pacing and way the show was put on in general. Considering the fact that this conference was for the Japanese market, there could very well be some cultural differences here. So instead of focusing on the conference itself, I just want to talk about the announcements made.

My favorite is easily the announcement of Final Fantasy X HD. FFX is one of my favorite Final Fantasy's and while it isn't a remake or anything, it'll be nice to have it on PS3 and the Vita as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it on both systems, but I'll definitely be getting it for at least one.

I'm also really excited for the MGS collection. Chances are I will be buying both versions (PS3 and Vita) because I'm really into the idea of being able to transfer the saves. I'll probably go for Peace Walker on the PS3 as well. I was a big fan of the game on the PS3, but I took a break for whatever reason and totally forgot how far I got and all the organization I did. Oh yeah, and I lost my PSP charger =\ So that happened.

Continuing right along with the Kojima theme, I'm kind of excited for Zone of the Enders as well. I don't know too much about it, but I'm always down for some sweet anime cutscenes and mechs (I mean come on, who isn't?).

I'm gonna be honest with you here, I don't remember much else announcement wise. I know SFxT and UMvC3 were shown/announced respectively, but I'm more a hardcore fighting game player (which means using a fightstick or something similar like a pad, etc). Either way that means I won't bother buying the games for Vita simply because I won't play them. That said, I love Ono. The man is full of so much energy and humor.

I also heard something about a new Square RPG. Problem is, they wasn't any footage. . . So that's cool. There are a few screens available on IGN, but there's not much else to go on.

Sony proudly boasted that there will be over 100 titles during their launch window for the Vita. I just wonder what constitutes a launch window. Is it the first three months within a console's release date? If so, that's a bit impressive. Of course this is based around the Japanese market so that number may be significantly lower in the NA. The quality of said 100 games could also be lackluster.

Apparently 26(5?) of those launch window games will actually be available for purchase on the day the Vita comes out. Sweet. I mean, I'm already sold on a Vita, but it's nice to know there will be a selection on day one.

So all in all good stuff. At least I think so. It's nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but it's still good news. What are your guys' thoughts on the system and Sony's conference last night?

No comments:

Post a Comment