Sunday, January 8, 2012

Thoughts On Star Wars: The Old Republic

I'm not an MMO guy. I've tried several of them, from WoW to Star Trek Online, City of Heroes, and so on. None have managed to catch my attention longer than the beta or even the free thirty days you get in the box. MMO's are the epitome of repetitive gameplay, that's the nature of the beast and I'm okay with that. They just weren't for me. Before now I never had a reason to see past that monotonous gameplay. The Old Republic changes that with its story-driven quests. And when I say story-driven, I mean it. Most times that phrase is simply a buzz word used to distract interested buyers from the fact that they don't really know what their doing in the writing department.

The Old Republic truly is story-driven. Each class follows its own story that's unique to their class and most of the other quests shape themselves around your character class. It makes for a very personal experience that's unlike any other MMO I've tried to play before. The game isn't perfect that's for sure, but it's certainly kept me wanting more.

I started out playing the Bounty Hunter class. This is one I've followed through all the way to level twenty thus far. At the moment I'm currently rolling three different characters. The Bounty Hunter, a Smuggler, and a Trooper. If there's one thing they all have in common, it's that their not Jedi. That's what TOR does best, being the Jedi/Sith isn't the only interesting part of the game.

The game is most fun when you have the ability to impose your own "personality" to your character. It doesn't work all the time as you have to work within the constraints of the game's dialogue options, but it's fun to role-play a bit. For example, my Bounty Hunter loves money, but doesn't play into people's stupidity. So if someone pays him a lot, but screws up along the way, he'll take your money and then kill you (or just kill you, whichever is easier). Such things normally lead to Dark Side points, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

My other characters are a Smuggler who is a sociopath, only in it for the money and the fun of killing everyone, and a Trooper who stands as a patriot to the Republic. I haven't played too much as either of these yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing where they go and how their playstyles differ from my Bounty Hunter.

If anyone would like to join me, or my current guild (Curious Turtles). You can find me here:

Valsh (Imperial Bounty Hunter): Black Vulkars
Mischa (Republic Smuggler): Black Vulkars
Tamatashi: (Republic Trooper): Infinite Empires

I'm also planning on building an Imperial Sith character on Anchorhead if anyone's on there.

More to come as I continue playing through the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment